Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Week 6

My dear family :)
 
Wow, it's been an incredible week. It was our stake conference as well. A woman in the ward came up to me yesterday and asked me if this little girl looked familiar. I told her no. Apparently the kids were from the Mattoon ward and whoever they are..somehow they knew I was from there... I dunno. So yep. What kind of food do I like? Well, I'm always looking for snacks for during the day. Granola bars, fruit snacks, trail mix. I also love chocolate and if you mix that with peanut butter, I can't complain! If you find fleece lined tights, that would be awesome, but get them in like a medium. You wanna hear what I wear on a daily basis? I wear long underwear, (also sometimes thermals), 2 pairs of tights, a pair of regular socks, a pair of 40 below socks, a pair of shorts, my skirt, and on top I wear a long sleeve shirt, an undershirt, a regular shirt, a sweater, scarf, and coat. I'm staying warm, but all the layers on the bottom squeeze into my hips and it hurts. So maybe some bigger tights? I also want a fleece jacket that zips up the front. It doesn't need a hood.
 
Bowling was fun. I didn't do great, but when do I ever? Bowling just isn't my strong point. I got a letter from Jesse. He said that his mom had 2 strokes last week. She's ok, and his dad took a week off to be with her. Crazy how that can happen.
 
Food here...is interesting. We teach many different cultures, including African. Let's just say that when we ate at Sister Francis' house I had a "stomach ache" and couldn't eat all my food. :S Last night I was asleep by 20 till 10pm. I was not feeling well, and I'm still not feeling the best. But, I got 9 hours of sleep! I think it's dehydration. The water from the tap here is gross tasting. So, I'm going to buy a gallon of water today, maybe I'll drink more that way.
 
Ok, here's the story of the week. It's been incredible and has really helped me. Wednesday morning we received a referral from some missionaries in another part of MN. A guy named Moses has a cousin in that area. Moses had been talking to his cousin, and wanted his life to go better, so he'd asked his cousin why his life seemed to be so good. His cousin gave him the missionaries numbers and they set up an appointment, then gave us the referral. So, Wednesday night we went to teach him the Restoration. Brother Thomas and Brother Quinn came with as joint teachers. The lesson went great and the Spirit was SO strong. At the end of the lesson both brother Thomas and Quinn bore their testimonies. Before we prayed I felt prompted to tell Moses that as he continued to learn and act on these things that he would face challenges, but that God would help him and that we would be there. Moses committed to be baptized that night, and he even said the closing prayer. He wanted to meet everyday, but we set up another appointment for Friday. So, Friday we met at Brother Quinn's house. The 1st thing he told us cleared up our concern of the Law of Chastity. We had left the previous visit under the impression that he was living with his girlfriend. BUT! He's married! The 2nd thing he told us was that he had lost his job that morning. (Satan is so rude!) Moses then told us that it was ok. He said that since he had met with us he had felt joy and he knew that it was in God's hands. He is so strong and so faithful. He is one of the "elect" as described in the Doctrine and Covenants. He is prepared for this. His baptismal date is set for the 26th. He came to stake conference on Sunday and got to meet some members of the ward. We plan on meeting his wife and hope to teach her too. Also, on the 26th a recent convert family is getting sealed and we get to attend that that morning! That will be an incredible day! The 19th we also have a baptism. Katie has been taught by the Cottage Grove Elders, but she's actually in our ward boundries. She's been going there because she has friends and families. She recently quite smoking..going on 5 days now! So, we are hoping to introduce her to ward members this Sunday so that she will continue coming after her baptism.
 
One night last week we dropped my a less active's house. She has depression and apparently is bipolar. She wasn't feeling well and so we offered to bring some priesthood holders over to give her a blessing. So, another night we went by with Brother Sheffeild (we live in his basement) and a member of the bishopric. We talked about her life and problems and how church can bless her life. Brother Sheffeild was very kind and loving and encouraged her to come to church. They then gave her a blessing and while they were doing that I was under the impression that we were not alone. There were angels in that room. Several times I opened my eyes, just expecting to see them. Well, I never did, but they were there. She was concerned with being lonely, but I know that she is not alone. That was another incredible experience from this past week.
 
We've had a couple of "warm" days. Warm being 25-30's. The snow was starting to melt. But, we've had light snow this weekend and another storm is supposed to come tomorrow. Will the snow ever melt? I hear they are already concerned about flooding when the snow melts. There is so much of it.
 
People from Salt Lake are coming this week to talk to us about the new training program. So on Thursday I get to see all my elder's and sister from the MTC. We will pick apart the program and talk about what we like and how we feel like it's helping us. I'm excited to see them again. I get to see 2 of them every once in awhile. Elder Hudson I see weekly and Elder Waite (the one Miranda is supposed to write) is in my zone so I see him occasionaly. I saw him last week and he still had not received any letters. He's a good kid :) 
 
Friday Sis. Sorensen had to go to Bloomington for meetings so I went with the Spanish Sisters in West St. Paul. You ready for this? Hermana Hedengren dated the oldest HOTCHKISS boy. As in Wesley Hotchkiss's older brother. She never met Wesley though, because he was on his mission. She's good friends with their mom though. Also, there is an inactive member of the Spanish branch there who is from puerto rico who converted some 20 years ago. They were gonna ask her if they knew an "Elder Randall". What a small world it is.
 
Well, I suppose that's my week! Shae, congrats on the musical! I wish I could have seen it. Dad, how's work? Oh, and how are my taxes going along? One of the members of the bishopric here is a lawyer in the tax area. So now I just wonder what's going on with that.
Mom, you started a project? When did you find time for that!?
I hope all is going well! Things are great here! I love you all!
 
Sister Randall

No comments:

Post a Comment